At Cobram District Health the Speech Pathologist provides assessment and therapy programs to pre-school aged children with early language development and speech difficulties.
Does my child need to see a Speech Pathologist?

If you have concerns about your child’s speech and language development, it is worth contacting a speech pathologist.  Other professionals you might raise these concerns with include: preschool teachers, childcare workers and maternal and child health nurses.  Some concerns that might warrant referral to the Speech Pathologist include: a 2 year old who is not yet putting 2 words together, a 3 year old who is often difficult to understand or a preschool child who is stuttering.

Do I need a referral to see a Speech Pathologist?

Parents can refer their own child to the Speech Pathology service. Other concerned people, such as preschool teachers, childcare workers or maternal and child health nurses, may also refer but they need the parent’s permission to do so.

What will the Speech Pathologist do?

Your child’s speech and/ or language will be assessed.  From this assessment the speech pathologist will be able to tell you whether your child’s skills are within the normal range for their age.

If your child is found to have speech or language difficulties, the speech pathologist will recommend one of more of the following:

  • A home program to target a specific area
  •  A block of individual or group therapy
  • Strategies to try at home, or
  • Referral to another agency