In 1930, Lisieux Private Hospital was built by Dr GJ Kennedy. The hospital was then purchased by the Cobram community and opened as a public hospital in 1949. The original facade you can see in the picture above, still forms part of the present day entrance.
Cobram District Health has always been closely connected to and supported by it’s community. The Ladies Auxiliary, formed in 1948, has played a critical role from the very beginning, raising funds for equipment and, in the early years, even cooking the meals for the hospital. This hands on “muck in and help” attitude has helped shape the health service that Cobram enjoys today.
In the early fifties the Hospital suffered severe financial and staffing problems. The Auxiliary raised the impressive sum of five hundred and seven pounds in a little over two years, and with continued public donations and grants, extensions were undertaken and the staffing problems were gradually resolved.
These local fundraising efforts were not unimportant to the bottom line of the hospital operations. By the early sixties over 14,000 pounds of a total 75,000 pounds of funding that the hospital had ever received, had been raised through local efforts. Then in January 1966, Miss Sarah Irvin, the last surviving member of the pioneering Irvin family, whose life had once been saved by Dr Kennedy, donated 45,000 pounds to build the Irvin Family Memorial Wing. The Irvin House Residential Aged Care Facility opened in 1979.
In 1993 the Shire initiated plans to build a medical clinic to house all the local doctors, This was completed in 2001. In 2010/11 the hospital received $1 million dollars in funding to rebuild the clinic under the GP Superclinic program. This development included a full public dental clinic and co-located pathology facility.
In 2015 the Moira Community Rehabilitation Centre was opened, the latest part of a growing health campus that provides a first class medical service to the community of Cobram.
(Credit: Excerpts of this history were drawn from “The Story of Cobram” , by Kenn Rogers)